Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Story of “P”

“P” was snotty. I liked her because she was snotty and didn’t care much about who is who at work. She had her rules, in at 10 and out at 5. I never saw her put in an extra minute; if she ever was early at work she would spend time smoking outside the office complex. She practically worked half as much as I did and I have this feeling that she was paid twice as much as I was though I never brought it up even for friendly discussion.

She once reported her colleague to the boss who she said “asked her out”, the fellow was never seen at work. Some say he was sacked some say he was transferred to anther unit and some say he committed suicide. I didn’t bother to investigate his case.

My crummy pad was getting crumby each day as I was asked to put in extra hours and even forgo my off day for some learning and value addition which my boss said would help me move up the value chain. I believed him as I had no choice, my eyes were set on his chair as a stepping stone and I once dreamt that I killed him when he invited me for drinks on the way home after work.

She was everybody’s dream… light skin, brown hair and designer perfume. She had the charm of a fairy not to mention the airs. She was perfect for a prince but I happen to meet her. I surreptitiously watched her until that day when she walked up to me and asked if I had smoke. I stammered and managed to say something like “I… I do not smoke… smoke”, she didn’t smile but stared at this book left by my dopey friend Max on my desk. Then she asked me if I was really a fan of John Grisham, I wanted to say no but happened to say "yes". She started dropping in often at my desk; I was cautious as I wanted to live and be in my fat boss’s chair but loved her attention.

“S” was acting on my nerves. Her incessant complains about me not spending much time made me avoid her more. One night she called a hundred times and I pretended the phone was not with me. The next morning “S” knocked on my door and demanded to know if I was seeing someone… to parry her question and shut her up I said “yes”. She was hurt and walked back quietly, I watched her till she turned on the street corner. I didn’t realise I has ended a sweet relationship.

1 comment:

Free Spirit said...

You are an excellent story teller Kamal.... waiting for more to come....