Saturday, September 19, 2009

PAGE 1

This story has never been told, not even mentioned. You could be the first one to know it.
____________________________________________________

"Jump! jump you chicken", Ray shouted. He wanted me to jump off the rickety bridge into the narrow and deep river which fed water to nine of the major towns and keep them green before it disappeared into the sea. Ray was in the water and waving his hands, I could see his tiny figure mocking me. I tried to gather courage and Ray kept shouting but I didn't take that plunge.

I feared I would be dead before I touch the water. I loved my mom, my pop and my sister too dearly to leave them in pain. I could see my mom crying senselessly while my father maintained a stoic silence just the way he did while he pulled the family out of poverty by working when we kids (me and Ana) slept.

I took a step back left the railing and threw myself on the ground. We had been drinking all night.

I wiped off the tears shouted goodbye to Ray and started walking home. Ray was my mate from school and lived in the palatial house constructed by his grandfather who rose to the rank of General in the army. His father was more interested in academics and went on to do a PhD. I had never met him as he was always delivering lectures in different corner of the world and was rarely home… it drove Ray mad and he hated his father for it. He found a home in my family.

Barely had I walked a mile that I thought of Ray - He was drunk and in the river. I feared for him, he was just like my brother. I turned around and ran back as fast as I could.

No comments: