Friday, November 6, 2009

Chapter 6 - Leaving Kotgarh... Hello Dehradun

Leaving Kotgarh was difficult. The tough time we had was made up by the quite and the tranquil environ of Kotarh and the breaks filled in by Jawala Ram's tales. His hospitality won our hearts.

We started early, we couldn’t afford to linger longer. I left a piece of my heart there and in turn carried the sweet memories of the spooky house, pine forest and the apple orchard. I promised to come back and see if my efforts helped Jawala to improve the apple production. I had to explore its natural beauty; three days were too less to understand the gravity of the natures abundance in Kotgarh and its enchanting culture.

The bus meandered on the serpentine narrow road till Narkanda and thereafter it was a much better ride till Shimla. On the bus ride till Shimla, I watched culture get on and get off the bus. After every turn of the mountain the people had a different dialect and looked different but their basic nature didn't change - they all smiled at silly me and my team mates (inviting us to come back). From Shimla the best and the quickest way to reach Dehradun we were told was to go to Chandigarh and then hop on to the bus to Dehradun.

On my way to Chandigarh, I reflected on my last 7 days. I felt purged of the ennui, I felt I was alive, I felt there was more to see and experience. I felt hungry for more adventure.

We learned from co-travellers that Dehradun attracted a large number of tourists as it was en route to Mussoorie and the weather is slightly warm in summers but at this time of year we would have a good time in pleasant weather. I asked Neena to lookup and read where we have to be, I looked at my watch it was 15:30; we had time at hand. I took a large bite at the veg patty which Joe had picked in Chandigarh and guzzled coke to wash it down. It was quite an economy trip and we only spent Rs/- 2000 on this journey. Neena was sleepy and a bit sour with Joe, she shoved the 'the big race'packate into my hands.

'Be in Dehradun by 18:00. At the city bus stand you would be handed the details of Challenge Two'. City Bus Stand was outside the city, we had a good laugh. We were there by 17:30, we used the time to snack and freshen up and in these 30 mins I gathered some details on the places of importance.
-Rajpura Road
-Clock Tower
-Robber's Cave (Guchhupani)
-Tibetan Temple
-Bhagirathi Resort

At sharp 18:00, someone handed 'the big race' packet to Neena. She couldn't describe him as she was not paying attention came a pat reply - I wanted Joe and Neena to patch up soon so that we can get on with the challenge.

'In the next 5 days earn as much as you can by doing whatever you are good at. This money would help you in Challenge Three,' read the Big Race Challenge - Two.

[SHARK IN A POND]

No comments: