Thursday, November 12, 2009

Chapter 7 - Challenge Two

We all let out a collective gasp and made gesture of frustration after reading the Challenge Two card. It attracted the attention of the people around; they all looked at us in unison. It made me nervous and I felt a bit stupid. When the news of Challenge Two had sunk a bit we all fished out the change from our pockets and handed it to Neena. She counted the money diligently like a bank cashier and announced we had Rs/-4785 left with us.

Two more challenges and God know how many more days to live off Rs/-4785. First thing we did was to look for a cheap accommodation. We were directed here and there and finally found a 'dharamshala' near the Clock Tower. It was to charge us Rs/-200 for each night/room.

We settled for a spacious but crumby room with an extra bed and blankets for which we were to be charged Rs/-50 for each night. Neena made a decision to reserve the room for five night and made an advance payment for the amount just in case we happen to run out of it; it would save us from spending the night huddled somewhere in the street.

Neena did the maths and shared her finding. We are left with Rs/-3500, that means Rs/-700 for every day and if we cut back our expenses by Rs/-200 we could save Rs/-1000 for Challenge Three.

We all slept well that night without any fear of the spirits of the dead British soldiers and officers from the graveyard in Kotgarh.

Next day we all went job hunting. Neena didn't had difficulty finding a job. All she had to do was smile and loosen the top button. She found a temporary work as a receptionist at a small hotel for Rs/-500 as daily wages. Joe with his technical skills and background joined a beat up computer coaching centre as a guest lecturer for Rs/-400 and I had no takers. I roamed around and tried hard to convince people that I can cook but none was interested in trying me out. My mates consoled me and asked me to try again tomorrow.

I stayed in and slept the whole day. When Neena and Joe came back from work, I could sense that they had patched up - I was relieved. Seeing me in bed huddled in a blanket they lost it. I calmed them by pretending that I was not feeling well. In fact I was not feeling good after the rejection.

"I have good news for you. I talked about you to the hotel GM and he is interested in promoting the 'Italian Food Festival' using your name". Hearing this I jumped out of the bed and hugged Neena and kissed her on the cheeks. Joe pretending to look the other side and coughed signaling he was not comfortable and wanted me to get off Neena immediately. I winked at Joe and left them alone. On my way out I borrowed some money from Neena - I hadn’t drunk in years.

I jumped on to the 'autoriksha' and asked the driver to show me the town and finally drop me at the best bar in the town. He took me first to I.M.A (Indian Military Academy) and F.R.I Forest Research Institute), the grandest of the institution in India. Coincidentally, these two grand institutes share the boundary wall.

Forest Research Institute (FRI) Dehradun was established as Imperial Forest Research Institute in 1906. The Institute's history is virtually synonymous with the evolution and development of scientific forestry, not only in India, but over the entire Indian sub-continent. And The Indian Military Academy (IMA) is the premier officer training school of the Indian Army. They didn't let me in but I swelled with pride looking at the smart cadets cross the road.

Then he motored the 'autorikshaw' through the Mall Road, Circuit House past the Raj Bhavan (the residence of the Governor of state) and stopped at Rajpur Road. It was the hippest of the places and the 'Hotel Sunshine' was also located somewhere on this road where I was to showcase my skills.

I decided against going into the hip bar and waste money; I picked up two chilled beer bottles from a local liquor vendor. I loitered around for a while and hailed an 'autorikshaw' back to the room at 'dharamshala' hoping my team mates would have got their rocks off by then.

[SHARK IN A POND]

4 comments:

valdvamp said...

A whole week today!

No new chapter still...

Why?

Kamal Sharma said...

Had been a bit busy. The new chapter is on. Hope you like it.

Anonymous said...

Good brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.

Kamal Sharma said...

I am glad it helped you. Keep reading.