Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Chapter 5 - Challenge One

I was the last one to be out of bed the next morning. I checked my watch, it was 09:00. I looked around and saw neatly folded beddings of my two team mates. The sun was making the room warm and the rays sneaked into the room through the half closed door and the half covered broken window. The room had a wooden ceiling and wooden floor, the floor creaked under my feet as I made my way out of the room. I wondered how these old houses hold themselves straight for years without buckling under the snow and the shifting rocks underneath.

Jawala Ram was regaling Neena and Joe with his stories and they seem to have forgotten that I was also with them. I was a bit miffed with them but more with the uncomfortable night in the dilapidated house in Kotgarh. Jawala was the first to wish me morning when I joined them. He appeared strangely happy and pleased; for a moment I though it was him and his devilish friends who tested me last night. I didn't discuss my experience but they all senses something was not okay with me.

Ignoring them, I quickly grabbed the tea kettle and poured tea in a big steel glass. Jawala offered 'bhaturu' (leavened traditional Kotgarh bread) which I devoured in no time and asked for more. The 'bhaturu' tasted much better then the best of the fare I have had in my life. I had three and was stuffed for the rest of the day.

Later Jawala Ram handed us the 'big race' envelop. It read: The Big Race - Challenge One. 'Jawala Ram would host you for the next three days. You all would help him weed and till his apple orchard. In case you do not finish in three day, you could either return where you came from or carry on the race after you had paid Jawala Ram Rs/- 3000 to arrange for a help to complete the task. If you abandon the task then you can't carry on with the race. On successful completion of the task Jawala Ran would hand you the details for Challenge Two'. The though of spending three more nights petrified me.

The apple orchard surrounded the houses. It was a beautiful small orchard fenced on two sides, it was well maintained but required the compulsory tilling and weeding. Jawala helped us understand what we had to do and handed us the tools. The first day we weeded a portion of the orchard which Jawala declared was 1/10 of the work we had to do. By evening we were tired uprooting the stubborn weeds, clearing the ominous bushes and the dried creepers. My whole body was sore and I admitted I might not survive three days. We had a rushed dinner and went to our corners, Neena and Joe dozed off. I remembered my last nights experience and was already sweating. I prayed till I fell asleep. The night went quietly for me.

When I woke up, I saw Joe huddled up on his bed and staring at the broken window. It appeared as if he had seen a ghost. I tried talking to him but he kept staring at the window. Neena was trying to comfort Joe but he appeared too shocked to notice her. I waved to Neena to step out, I told her what might have happened.

We discussed about these strange experiences with Jawala Ram who dismissed them as nightmares and assured us nobody in Kotgarh had ever experiences anything unusual and they were protected by the 'DEO', the village diety. His abode was the adjoining Mailan village. 'DEO Mailan' was the most powerful of all the Gods and he assured protection to who ever prayed to him. I sent out a silent prayer to 'DEO' to keep me safe.

Joe didn't step out until afternoon, Neena had to cajole him to have him lunch. He didn't join us on the orchard that day. Neena and I weeded and cleaned up the orchard of unwanted bushes and dry twigs and were left with one more day to till. We knew with Joe in shock we would not be able to complete the challenge. She did the maths and announced that after parting with Rs/- 3000 and we would be left with Rs/- 7000 for the remaining race. We agreed to take it easy and not waste ourselves tilling the orchard.

We asked Jawala to move us to some place else but he couldn't as it was the only room he had which was tidy enough to house us. With the option of moving out completely out of question we decided to stay up all night. We stayed up for a while but the days toil was too much for me - I dozed off. Last I remember was Neena comforting Joe who had his head against her shoulder.

Next morning, I was the first one to wake up and was happy that I was spared again. I sneaked out, the sun was still hiding behind the hill and the morning dew glistened on the dry grass and the trees, adding to the beauty of the cold morning. I went around Gorton Mission School, which had stood the time - the school was est. in 1943 when the British Missionaries tried to provide quality education in Kotgarh and also hoped to spread the Christian faith. In the schools compound is nestled the St Mary's Church. I felt proud to look at these two institutions. By that time the village had started walking up and I could see some of them on their way to the orchards and some soaking the morning sun with a hot cuppa. Kotgarh offered a beautiful view of the Sutlej valley and I could see the snow clad Himalayas glistening in the morning sun.

Joe joined us at work the third day. We tilled about one-forth of the orchard by sunset and were satisfied with our efforts. Back at the house, I talked about my morning visit. I had seem something which explained the nightly activities. On the other side of the fence behind the church was the graveyard - the jaws dropped when my team mates learned this. Neena feared that she might be targeted tonight. The pink on her cheeks disappeared and now it was Joe's turn to comfort her. I left them alone and went off to sleep.

Jawala Ram appeared pleased with the help we have extended. We graciously thanked him and as per the race rule handed him the money. He in turn handed us the 'big race' packet. The challenge two was to reach Dehradun by 18:00 on Nov 4th - we had 10 hrs to be there.

[SHARK IN A POND]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Curiosity killed me. Excellent piece. Enjoyed reading it.