Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Chapter 3 - The Old Fort

The Old Fort looked majestic. The ruins told a story of a glorious past and transported me to the old times... the kings, queens, elephants, horses and the grand battles. I was spellbound and it took a bit of time for me to get back to present. The time seems to have saved the ruins for this generation to drawn inspiration and make progressive plans for the future. The fort was bathed in the golded rays of the setting sun, the birds chirped and made their way home - they reminded me of my purpose there.

I found Neena and Joe outside the west gate. It was not difficult to spot them, they looked copy of the participants of the 'amazing race' - rucksack, cargo pants, bandana, trekking boots et al. They had come prepared. I studied them for a while and then walked up to them. I introduced myself with a big smile and a firm handshake. Neena gaped at me as if she was meeting Brad Pit. I do not blame her, I had inherited good looks from my mom and dad while Joe looked down on me - he was a foot taller.

They had been waiting for me for about 2 hours. At 19:00, the gate was closed for the visitors. Some of them made their way out reluctantly and didn’t want the spell to break.

A tall gentleman in a suit walked up to us and handed a bag. Before we could ask him anything he had vanished in the crowd. Neena torn it open with excitement. It had the details of ‘the big race' Challenge ONE and our stay plan in Delhi.

We were put up in the premier rooms at the Oberoi’s Delhi overlooking the beautiful golf course. We stayed there for the next two days; the staff charmed us with their hospitality. It reminded me of ‘The Nights Tail’, I concealed my emotions and enjoyed the stay.

At dinner we got to know each other a bit more. Neena flooded me with her questions: What I do? Am I married? Where I studied? Do I have a girlfriend and some more delicate questions. Her questions mortified me a little but I tactfully ducked them - watching TV does help. Joe was the reasonable type and he was busy admiring his biceps, that when I noticed he had big arms.

Neena didn't find joy in her bank job and had recently been abandoned by her boyfriend for an NRI. There was lot of anger and pain inside her. She spoke about her detachment and hate for male species and the institution which cages and stifled the minds. Neena had grown friendly with Joe and he held her hand and comforted her while she questioned the wrong that had been done to her. I nodded to show my concern and excused myself just past midnight and went off to sleep. They stayed on and drank

Our first challenge was to trek up to a small village in the Shimla district of Himachal Pradesh and pick our packet for the next challenge. We were advised of the weather and were encouraged to pick some warm clothes. We were also told to deposit our belongings with the hotel and only carry 5000 rupees. Heron we were to be provided money and things basis the requirement of the challenge.

[SHARK IN A POND]

No comments: